Hyundaiioniq 5 Limited Awd
- $39,950 – $55,000
- Edmunds Tested RangeEdmunds’ real-world range test measures the distance an electric vehicle can travel on a full charge.More info
- 270 mi
- Edmunds Rating
- 8.3 out of 10
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 springs out of the gate with retro-themed styling and the latest in electric vehicle design. It’s also comfortable, practical and generously equipped. While it can’t quite match the range of the equivalent Tesla Model Y or Ford Mustang Mach-E models, there’s still plenty to love about this all-new all-electric SUV.
Electric Cars List: 41 Models To Watch Out For
Update: Cadillac Celestiq, Chevrolet Equinox EV, Chevrolet Silverado EV, and Tesla Cybertruck updated.
The auto industry is undergoing a paradigm shift due to the carbon neutrality goals in North America, Europe, and China, and top automakers are preparing a massive ZEV onslaught to bring down their average emissions. 2023 will be the year with the highest number of new electric car unveils and launches. More than 40 new EV models are debuting or launching for customers in 2023, and unsurprisingly most are SUVs. Many of the new 2023 electric cars will be models designed from the outset to run solely on electric power.
Below we have listed many EVs that have been unveiled recently as either they havent been shown in regional specifications or they arent physically available yet in most countries. Detailed information on these upcoming electric cars or electric pickup truck models can be found in the links placed in the descriptions.
Our Ev Program Quick Facts:
- Ultium Cells LLC, our joint venture with LG Energy Solution to develop and mass produce battery cells, is expected to help bring EVs closer to price-parity with gas-powered vehicles.
- GM is projecting that its next generation Ultium packs will cost 60 percent less than batteries in use today with twice the energy density expected.
- Our ability to stack batteries vertically is unique in the industry and it allows for a flat cabin floor and more interior room than comparable EVs that use cylindrical battery packs.
- Our Ultium battery cells feature a state-of-the-art Nickel Cobalt Manganese Aluminum chemistry, which was designed to reduce the cobalt content in our batteries by more than 70 percent.
- We have enabled the reuse or recycling of 100 percent of returned batteries, and we will keep doing so.
- Ultium Cells LLC is collaborating with Li-Cycle to aim to recycle up to 100 percent of the material scrap from Ultium battery cell manufacturing.
- We apply a comprehensive battery and high-voltage safety strategy and development process to every EV we make, supported by a dedicated high-voltage battery safety team.
You May Like: Tesla Model Y Long Range Hp
Electric Vehicles And Insurance
In the U.S., most insurance companies offer a discount and even the government is offering car insurance assistance for hybrid and electric vehicles. The thinking is that these cars cause less damage in an accident and are involved in fewer accidents overall. As more people switch to electric cars, expect even more insurers to get on board and offer savings.
Auto industry expert Melanie Musson notes that while electric cars are making strides in terms of creating a more popular offering for people, the added boost of insurance incentives is a huge feather in the cap for the industry. When you look at the data for car insurance rates by zip code, its already clear that the trends are looking good for the EV industry.
Dodge Daytona Srt Concert
Much of the concept car looked production ready as it rolled onto the stage, complete with a powerful soundtrack, which is weird, because its electric and all. Its a rhythmic drone with a patterned resonance. Imagine a sci-fi warp-drive spacecraft and a big, cammed-out V8 had a baby. This is what it would sound like. The noise is delivered with the same depth and presence as a pipe organ in a cathedral, and hits with as many decibels as a Hellcat.
No speakers here, though.
Instead, heres an electric muscle car with an exhaust system made of special chambers and pipes and outlets that shape the movement of air to create an electric exhaust system that can pump out up to 126 decibels of noise while physically moving air out the backside of the car. This is patented tech. Nobody else can do it Kuniskis said as the concept cars motors revved excitedly in the background. Theres even a cool wind-down sound when the motors are switched off.
Recommended Reading: Best Electric Cars On The Market
Current Electric Vehicle Technology
So, electric vehicles have been around longer than you might think. But what is the current technology like? Aside from electric cars , there are several notable forms of electric transportation:
- Logistics vehicles. From large trucks to freight handling, there is a range of companies creating electric logistics vehicles. However, the view was that electric batteries for freight vehicles would be expensive and impractical. New studies suggest that a better charging network could solve the problem.
- Public transport. Electric buses are already hugely popular in China, while Europe is picking up the pace of adoption. In the UK, around 38% of the railway network is electrified. Electric trams are also popular worldwide.
- Aircraft. Electric aircraft technology is still in its infancy. According to some experts, modern passenger planes would need batteries weighing 30 times more than its current fuel intake, meaning it would never get off the ground.However, progress is being made, and electric planes do exist.
- Boats. Battery power is also a problem for electric boats. The limited power is problematic, particularly for larger vehicles and longer trips. However, there are prototypes starting to emerge that prove that EVs can exist in many different formats.
The Great Electric Car Race Is Just Beginning
On the southern edge of Brussels, where the city turns to suburbs, the future of Germanyâs most successful automaker is taking shape inside a peculiar sort of car factory. Here, there are no exhaust pipes, transmissions or fuel tanks. There are no spark plugs, radiators or manifolds. What the Volkswagen Group factory does have, however, are batteries stacked to the rafters.
Thirty-six shoebox-sized battery modules, each containing a dozen lithium-ion cells, are packed into seven-foot long electric-battery packs and slung under the floor of each sport utility vehicle produced here. The first electric SUV from Volkswagenâs luxury Audi brand, the e-tron, can go 400 kilometers on a single battery cycle and be recharged in as little as half an hour. The styling is conventional, the interior is luxurious and the ride is nearly silent.
The e-tron SUV has one job for Volkswagen: Prove that a carmaker that has relied almost exclusively on the internal combustion engine since it was founded 82 years ago can produce electric vehicles people want to buy and policymakers will embrace as they cast around for ways to tackle the climate crisis. Success means that Volkswagen will overtake rivals, including Tesla, in electric car sales and fend off new challengers from China and Silicon Valley failure could signal the beginning of the end for a company with 665,000 employees and annual revenue of $265 billion.
Recommended Reading: Was The First Car Electric
Polestar 3 Electric Suv Confirmed To Start Production In 2022
The third Polestar model is coming soon and will be built in the U.S. at Volvo’s plant in South Carolina.
- Polestar has confirmed that its next model will be the Polestar 3, an electric SUV.
- Production will start sometime in 2022 at Volvo’s plant in South Carolina.
- A teaser photo shows the Polestar 3’s silhouette, and it will ride on a new EV platform.
Polestar will further expand its lineup next year with a new model called the Polestar 3. The company describes it as an “aerodynamic performance electric SUV,” which makes us think it will be styled like SUV “coupes” such as the BMW X4 or Mercedes GLC Coupe. It will ride on a new Volvo EV platform, and a teaser photo gives a hint at its silhouette.
Notably, the Polestar 3 will be the EV subbrand’s first model to be built in the U.S. Production is scheduled to start sometime in 2022 at Volvo’s new plant in South Carolina, which currently builds the S60 sedan and will soon start building the next-generation XC90 SUV.
The 3 will follow the Polestar 1, a plug-in-hybrid coupe that recently ended production, and the Polestar 2, an electric hatchback currently on sale that starts at $61,200. Polestar has also said it plans to build a production version of the Precept concept, a larger flagship sedan with advanced driver-assistance features.
Look for more information on the Polestar 3 to come later this year. It will likely go on sale in the U.S. in late 2022 as a 2023 model.
You’re Now Leaving Jp Morgan
J.P. Morgans website and/or mobile terms, privacy and security policies dont apply to the site or app you’re about to visit. Please review its terms, privacy and security policies to see how they apply to you. J.P. Morgan isnt responsible for any products, services or content at this third-party site or app, except for products and services that explicitly carry the J.P. Morgan name.
Also Check: How Are Tesla Batteries Made
Voice And Gesture Control
Voice control has gone from the realm of sci-fi to a feature of our everyday lives. Hey, Google, Alexa and Siri are now part of our modern lexicon. Using Apple Carplay and Android Auto, we can use our voice to navigate, select music and check the weather while driving. Some electric cars come with their own voice control system. So you can change the cars settings with your voice, even down to the colour of the interior lights. In Mercedes EQC 400, you can use hand gestures to control your infotainment instead. So your eyes remain firmly fixed on the road ahead.
The Future Of Electric Cars
Electric cars are the future. And theyre not just the future theyre also the present for more and more consumers. Manufacturers are racing to produce the best electric vehicles that will blow out the competition. Whenever theres fierce competition, you can expect to see technological innovations.
Don’t Miss: Tesla Model Y Performance Hp
How Long Does It Take To Charge An Electric Car
There are a few variables to take into account when it comes to electric car charging. The first is the type of battery used most use a Lithium-ion battery, although the capacity will often differ. Next is the type of charging used a standard home 7kW charging point will be a lot slower than a rapid 150kW one.
As an example, the 2019 Tesla Model S has a 75kWh battery. To fully recharge it, estimates suggest 11 hours for a 7kW charger, but less than an hour for a 150kW charger.
Battery Tech And The Transition To Solid State
Beyond EVs and charging, battery technology is the next critical piece of the electrification puzzle. As EV batteries become more advanced, they can store more energy and take up less space. The result is a lighter, more spacious vehicle that can travel further on a single charge.
The first EV batteries were composed of lead and acid. Far more advanced nickel-metal-hydride cells then followed. The current generation of batteries has graduated to a far more sophisticated lithium-ion chemistry. Of the lithium-ion batteries, there are two primary types: conventional lithium-ion and solid-state.
Both lithium-ion and solid-state are similar in overall structure and operation. However, the lithium-ion battery pack contains a liquid electrolyte, while a solid-state battery has a solid core, giving it more energy density. The higher the energy density, the higher the output. This equates to more range and faster recharge times.
Although lithium-ion batteries have become the norm for electrifying vehicles, automakers are now working toward making solid-state batteries the gold standard. In addition to improved safety, size, and stability, solid-state batteries can reach an 80-percent charge within 15 minutes with less strain after multiple charging cycles. While a lithium-ion battery begins to degrade after 1,000 cycles, a solid-state battery will maintain 90 percent of its capacity after 5,000 cycles.
Also Check: 2021 Tesla Model X Price
What Is The Environmental Impact
There are other issues beyond usage emissions. Making electric cars, particularly lithium-ion batteries, can be quite an energy-intensive process. Some studies suggest, for example, that over a third of lifetime electric car CO2 emissions come from energy used to make the car.
For electric cars to be more eco-friendly, manufacturing processes, as well as battery recycling and efficiency, must all improve. That being said, a 2018 report from the UK government concluded that battery electric vehicles have substantially lower greenhouse gas emissions than conventional vehicles, even when taking into account the electricity source and the electricity used for battery production.
The Power Of Electricity
For some people, the most important reason to buy an EV is environmental. Carbon emissions from electric vehicles are around 30% lower than petrol or diesel competitors even if the electricity used to power them is produced from fossil fuels.
And as countries continue to green their electricity supply through renewable energy, electric vehicles will only get cleaner and greener perhaps as much as 90% less carbon-intensive than petrol models.
Health impacts are important too, especially in dense urban environments where air pollution from traffic is becoming a real concern for many residents. Exhaust emissions from fossil fuel transport cause 53,000 premature deaths per year in the US alone, and are especially harmful to children, the elderly, and low-income communities.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do Electric Car Batteries Take To Charge
Bank Australia To Ditch Fossil Fuel Car Loans In Push For Ev Future
Announcement at national electric vehicle summit comes as climate change minister seeks input on national EV strategy
An Australian bank will stop offering loans for new fossil fuel cars from 2025 in a step it says will encourage more people to buy electric vehicles.
The customer-owned Bank Australia will announce the self-imposed ban at a national EV summit in Canberra on Friday, arguing it is a responsible step to ensure its lending practices did not lock our customers into higher carbon emissions and increasingly expensive running costs.
The banks chief impact officer, Sasha Courville, said the bank, which has 185,000 customers, would continue to fund loans for second-hand cars with internal combustion engines as it recognised not everyone would be able to afford an EV in three years.
But she said the announcement would send a message that if youre considering buying a new car you should think seriously about an electric vehicle, both for its impact on the climate and for its lifetime cost savings.
Weve chosen 2025 because the change to electric vehicles needs to happen quickly and we believe it can with the right supporting policies in place to bring a greater range of more affordable electric vehicles to Australia, she said.
A Little Browsing Never Hurts
- Volkswagen of America, Inc., believes the information and specifications in this website to be correct at the time of publishing. Model specifications provided may vary based on selected trim, options, and installed accessories. Specifications, standard features, options, fabrics, accessories and colors are subject to change without notice. Some features may be unavailable when your vehicle is built. Some vehicles are pictured with options that may be available at extra cost or may not be available on some models. Ask your dealer about the availability of options and verify that the vehicle you ordered includes the equipment you ordered.
- Computer generated image shown. Images of vehicles are for illustrative purposes only. Please see dealer for details and availability.
You May Like: Tesla Self-driving Car Price
What Are Electric Vehicles
Lets start with an electric vehicle definition. We know that vehicles are used for transporting vehicles or goods, whether on land, water, or via air. An electric vehicle is a vehicle that is powered by electricity, usually in the form of electric motors powered by batteries or fuel cells.
When we see this definition, its easy to think only of things like electric cars. However, electric vehicles also include other road transport , as well as electric planes and even boats.
Youll often see a variety of types of electric vehicles fit under this term. This includes:
- All-electric vehicles. In this type of electric vehicle, the battery is the only power source.
- Hybrid vehicles. These use a combination of a combustion engine with an electric motor, the latter which recharges when the vehicle is in motion.
- Plug-in hybrids. These also combine combustion engines with rechargeable batteries, but the batteries can also be recharged directly when plugged in.
- Fuel-cell vehicles. These generate their own electricity from onboard fuels such as hydrogen. They dont need to plug into an electrical outlet to recharge.
You can learn more about low carbon road transport with our free online course from experts at Cenex.
How Electric Cars Affect The Environment
Unlike conventional cars powered by gasoline or diesel, electric cars generally run on electricity stored in their battery. Lithium-ion batteries used in electric cars can be recharged by connecting them to an external electrical outlet. Owners can charge their car at home by installing a charging point, or at a commercial charging station. The driving range of most electric vehicles averages around 200miles per charge, which is sufficient for daily commutes. Moreover, in recent years, with the development of technology, the distance per single charge continues to increase, automakers are making electric cars that can go 300 miles or more.
There are many apps available on the market that will help you locate the nearest commercial charging stations.
Electric cars produce lower tailpipe emissions than conventional vehicles do. However, some fear that manufacturing an electric car battery would generate more CO2 emissions than building a traditional vehicle would. To tackle this issue, electric vehicle manufacturers have been taking various steps, including the reduced use of environmentally harmful forms of energy in plants. Despite its drawback during the production stage, electric cars still produce far less harmful emissions than gas-powered cars do over their lifespan. Kia is one of the automakers that have been making huge efforts to go electric.
3) Maintenance costs
You May Like: Tesla Model X Battery Replacement Cost